Hi! I’m Karl. I’m seeking freelance and part-time web development work in the New York metro area or by remote.
With that in mind, I look forward to adding my creativity, my passion for working with others, and my hunger for lifelong learning to a team that shares my values.
Skills & Qualifications
- Python, Django, Flask, WordPress, Bootstrap, SQLAlchemy, Git
- Developed a suite of Python CLI tools for Idealist.org; closed $50,000 in outstanding invoices using those tools
- Learning Vue.js and React
- HarvardX CS50, completed February 2018
Dain Miller’s Advanced Beginner Challenge, completed Python/Django track January 2019
One-page portfolio website for humorist and playwright Topher Cusumano. Written in Django and Bootstrap, this Heroku app implements logging on the back end and the Magnific Popup jQuery plugin library on the front end.
Threechicken Productions is a film and TV production company in which I’m a partner. We specialize in socially-relevant unscripted and documentary films and TV.
Threechicken.com is our company’s WordPress website. The site houses company email; sophisticated, roles-based access control; and is designed to scale as we grow.
Want to adopt a dog, but don’t know anything about what breeds suit your lifestyle or shelters nearby? Find a Doggo finds adoptable dogs near you based on a temperament you specify.
A movie recommendation tracker CRUD app with user registration verification by email, a Trello card-like user interface, and movie title verification using the OMDb API.
Written in Python and Flask with Bootstrap, FontAwesome, and the SQLAlchemy PostgreSQL API. Deployed on Heroku. (View source code)
A user and roles management CRUD app from a tutorial by Mbithe Nzomo on Scotch.io as part of Dain Miller’s Advanced Beginner Challenge. The implementation features unit tests and functional tests with Selenium.
Written in Python and Flask with Bootstrap and deployed on PythonAnywhere. (View source code)
A tutorial designed for total beginners to coding, Fluid Architecture teaches the basics of Bash and Python syntax, web scraping, data persistence, database ORMs, and web development in Django. When completed, readers will have made a locally-deployed instance of Django that sends a daily email with a Joni Mitchell lyric.
- Professional musical theater composer and lyricist
- Wrote a musical with Josh Sharp & Aaron Jackson (The Opposition with Jordan Klepper) that ran to standing-room-only houses in NYC and LA for a year and a half; we sold feature film option rights to 20th Century Fox in 2016
- Wrote a musical with playwright Maria Alexandria Beech that placed in the final round of consideration for the National Music Theater Conference in 2017
- Professional essayist, critic, and journalist
- Published in Metro US, the largest free, daily-circulation newspaper in the U.S.
- Celebrity interviews, cultural criticism, and current events for INTO, Grindr’s digital queer magazine